Workshops are Beautiful
Workshop by David McCandless
In the age of info overload, visualized data, information and knowledge has incredible potential to help us quickly understand, navigate and find meaning. But how do you create effective, interesting and, above all, useful data-visualizations and infographics? For the first time, founder of Information is Beautiful and leading data-viz practitioner David McCandless will be sharing his process and method for creating successful visualizations
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
In a half-day workshop, attendees will specifically learn:
• concepting and the generation of good, interesting ideas ripe for visualization
• creating, selecting and executing appropriate & effective visualisations
• designing and beautifying charts & diagrams
Broadly introduced to:
• how to use dataviz as a new lens for communication of ideas and stories
• researching, finding and curating juicy data
• the many new methods and approaches for visualising data
• a playful creative approach to data, based on exploration and discovery, for better results
• how to combine design-thinking and statistical rigour without compromising either
WHAT'S THE WORKSHOP'S STYLE?
WHAT WILL I COME AWAY WITH?
As a creative director, David’s approach combines principles with play, beauty and structure, theory and open experimentation. So expect a fun, informative experience that is interactive and hands-on: pens, paper, sketching, sharing etc. All with a solid underpinning of best practice.
WHAT WILL I COME AWAY WITH?
Everyone leaves with their own dataviz, a unique limited-edition handout pamphlet, and a slide deck. David will also sign copies of his books and pose awkwardly on the end of selfie-sticks.
workshop would be useful if you’re
• wishing to translate written reports, research and messaging into impactful visual form
• wanting to better understand the practice of data journalism and story-telling with data
• needing to succinctly communicate issues or data points to specific audiences
• a “word and ideas” person looking to translate your concepts into design language
• a “visual / design thinker” wanting to expand your approach to include data
• a “data / code” person looking to improve aesthetics and conceptual prowess
WHO IS DAVID?
London-based author, data-journalist and information designer, working across print, advertising, TV and web. His information design work has appeared in over forty publications internationally including The Guardian, Wired and Die Zeit. In recent years, he has been exploring the use of data visualisation and infographics to explore new directions for journalism and to discover new stories in the seas of data surrounding us.
The result is his blog and book Information Is Beautiful dedicated to visualising ideas, issues, knowledge and data.
More info: www.informationisbeautiful.net